Many people watch a few home improvement shows and think that they have the skills necessary to remodel their basements. Television remodeling shows portray the renovation taking merely a few weeks. However, what TV doesn’t show is that the people remodeling the basement are working on it the whole day, every day. Most homeowners have a day job. They can’t spend the entire day working on their basement, thus it takes them upwards of two years to complete a shabby basement.
Here are 4 reasons why you should hire a professional to remodel your basement.
- Knowledgeable about permits. Before starting your remodel, you will need permits. A contractor is aware of the proper permits and makes sure to obtain them before starting the project. The contractor is also familiar with additional permits based off of your city or state.
- Save time. Hiring a contractor will save you a lot of time. Besides saving time during the actual construction process, a contractor is familiar with new materials and technologies that have the potential to save you money.
- Up to code. Most townships have code and construction standards that need to be met. A trained professional knows the codes and standards and is able to ensure that your basement meets those requirements.
- Increased home value. A great basement remodel has the potential to increase your home value. Since it is a big investment, you want to get the best return on investment. A professional contractor will save you time and improve the quality and value of the basement.
Morgan Contractors understands that home remodeling is an emotional and financial investment. We are well experienced in local building codes in New Jersey and work with only licensed and experienced partners. No remodeling job is too big or small; please contact us when you plan your next home improvement project.
You’ve decided that your bathroom and/or kitchen need an update. You have the vision for the final product, but need help getting there. We rounded up a few tips to help you pick the best person for the job.
- Referrals. Inviting someone into your home and paying them to complete your vision can be stressful if you don’t know how their work will come out. So, ask your family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors if they have any contractor suggestions.
- Look at credentials. After receiving referrals, it’s time to research your list. You should be looking for required licenses and designations from professional associations.
- Interview contractors. Before you decide on a contractor, it is important to interview them. After all, you are letting them into your home and paying for their services. Make sure that you can trust them. You will also want to choose a contractor that listens to your ideas and takes them into consideration.
- Write down your ideas. If you’ve been scouring home design magazines for remodel ideas, write down what you like. Share the document with potential contractors to get an idea on how much it will cost you. Insider tip: don’t change the plan too much with different contractors because you won’t be able to compare the prices.
- References. An extra step you can take is asking for references. It’s a good sign if the contractor happily hands you a list of people you can call.
- Written contract. You’ve gone through the negotiation process; now make sure that your written contract is satisfactory. Some things that should be included are bid price, payment schedule, scope of work, a clause about dispute resolution and a waiver of lien.
Morgan Contractors is happy to provide you with testimonials and references of our work. Contact us today for a free quote.
If you’re looking to upgrade your home, an outdoor deck not only adds value, but can make your exterior more functional year-round. It can be a great place to host events with friends, spending time with family outside, or just a quiet place for you to relax and reflect.