Thinking of making 2017 the year you put a new coat of paint on some of the rooms in your home? If so, great! With a little guidance, DIY painting can be a (mostly) hassle-free way to transform a tired living room, kitchen, or bedroom into a fun and inviting space.
To make your next DIY painting project look like professional work, here are some of the tips and tricks we use at Morgan Contractors to get the job done right. Your friends might even ask who you ‘hired’ to do it!
Once you’ve picked the room, color and day or days to paint (we advise you wait for dry weather), it’s to do some prep work.
First, inspect the room(s) you want to paint. Cracked or peeling areas should be sanded/scraped and then every surface should be rinsed with soap and water, and then dried. This will avoid serious problems later – don’t skimp on this part!
Next, buy high quality tools (brushes, paint rollers and painter’s tape) appropriate for your wall texture. A thicker roller will give more complete coverage, but if it is too thick, you may get unwanted texture. Ask your supplier for advice, and try not to pinch pennies if you can avoid it – quality matters here.
Finally, protect everything you don’t want painted! This includes the careful application of tarps and painter’s tape. You may also want to remove light switches and outlets to ensure a truly professional finished look.
5 Professional Painting Tips
- Use primer: this not only ensures a more even coat, but gives you some practice with the painting motions.
- Let the roller do the work: With a good roller cover, you won’t need to apply much pressure, which promotes a more even coat.
- Brush where you can’t roll: Use a brush around the trim and in the corners of the walls, and extend about 3” out – this will help during the rolling part.
- Paint from top to bottom: Starting at the ceiling lets you paint over any drips or mistakes as you go down. This is harder to do working up from the floor.
- Paint the trim last…and slowly: By now you’ll be itching to finish the job, but don’t rush this last part! Be thorough and you will avoid the need to ‘touch up’ any mistakes you make here.
By taking your time and following the tips above, your next paint job should turn out to be a success – and you’ll get to enjoy the rewards of your effort for many years.
Of course, not everyone has the time or inclination to do the job themselves, and that’s okay too. At Morgan Contractors, we have more than 10 years of experience providing quality craftsmanship and painting expertise to northern New Jersey. If you are looking for a fully insured, highly reputable company to handle your next painting job, look no further – our customer testimonials say it all.
For more information about our painting services, to request an estimate or for general questions, please contact us today or call 201-401-1800.